Tuesday, March 9, 2010

DANCING


I have always loved to dance. I'm one of those strange people who, when I hear a good song with a strong beat, my foot starts tapping or my knee bouncing, and I feel like getting up to dance (although I usually don't). Aside from a little ballet and some gymnastics growing up, I haven't done much dance.

But I've found a really fun exercise class (Zumba) that is as much dance as it is exercise and it's actually fun to exercise (I didn't think I would ever say that!). So I'm dancing to get into shape--cool!

Also, for the past probably seven or eight years I have really been wanting to learn ballroom dance with my husband. So when I saw in our community education flyer that they were offering a beginning ballroom dance class, I signed us up ($35 for six hour-long classes! Awesome deal!).

We have now completed our third class and are loving to dance together! I am so grateful to have a husband who not only is willing to dance (which many men are uncomfortable with), but who is also a good dancer (I think, but I'm biased :0). We've learned the mambo, waltz, two-step, cha-cha, basic swing, tango, foxtrot (which we actually don't remember very well--need a refresher on that one), samba and a little bit of the west coast swing. So fun!!

It's also so fun to have a cheap and fun date on Friday nights (while our class is going, anyway)and I'm so grateful that I now know how to dance with my honey. We're not experts by any means, but we know some basics and have a lot of fun!

2 comments:

Melissa said...

I really want to see you guys groove!

Laura S. said...

That's awesome that you guys are doing that. Richard and I took a class together the semester we were dating, and true to BYU-I form, we got automatic A's just for getting engaged. We didn't even have to come for the last two weeks of class (they were doing group choreography stuff anyway). The funny thing is though, we've forgotten everything but the foxtrot.