Friday, April 2, 2010

A DELICIOUS DRINK OF WATER


I don't know if you have good-tasting water where you live, but if not, I'm sorry. I hope that if you don't, you at least have yummy bottled water or something. I'm so grateful that the town I live in happens to have absolutely delicious water, a luxury I totally take for granted until I go somewhere and taste gross water.

There's a great young adult book by Natalie Babbit called 'The Search for Delicious' about a king who is compiling a dictionary and gets stuck on the word 'delicious' so he sends his pageboy out to take a poll around his country about what food is the most delicious. Of course, no one can agree, and the boy gets all sorts of different answers from people. Then something happens to their water supply and the people can't access any water. They get so thirsty and by the time they get everything resolved and are able to get a drink of water, they finally all agree on the definition of delicious: a cool drink of water when you are very thirsty. There is nothing quite so satistying.

What a blessing to have easy access to clean drinking water!

2 comments:

LisAway said...

How true is that. I have never craved anything so strongly as I've craved water and a cold glass can be like heaven. Love that story. Something everyone can agree is delicious!

Laura S. said...

I always try to fill as many water bottles as I can when I visit you guys or my hometown, and ration them out for as long as they'll last. I sure miss yummy water.